Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Red Velvet Bundt Cake with White Chocolate Glaze

Today as I was getting all bored at home, I decided to bake something. As I keep more or less necessary baking items in my baking closet, so I did a quick look up and found some stuff to play around with. I wanted to experiment baking a new flavor of cake so I thought of going with red velvet today.


Red Velvet Bundt Cake with a White Chocolate Glaze



Ingredients

1. 2 cups all purpose flour
2. 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
3. 1/2 tea spoon salt
4. 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
5. 1/4 pound unsalted butter
6. 1 1/2 cup sugar
7. 3 eggs, beaten
8. 1 tea spoon vanilla
9. 1 cup whole milk
10. 1 tablespoon red food coloring
11. 2 table spoon cream cheese
12. 6-7 fresh or thawed frozen strawberries
13. 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Process:

1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. Now mix the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa and give it a good stir with mixer.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sugar, butter, red food coloring, vanilla essence and beat it for 30 seconds in a low speed. Now pour the dry mix (previous point) and mix it for 2 minutes at a medium speed.

3. Now grease the pan, for I used a bundt pan for the first time today. Grease it with oil or butter and pour the batter onto it. Bake the cake in your choice of pan, but remember for square or circle 9 inch pans, it takes about 30-35 minutes, but for fluted or bundt pans, it takes 40-45 minutes. After it's been baked, rest it for 10 minutes on a rack before you transfer it onto a plate. This should look like the picture inserted below.


4. Next rest it for 15-20 minutes and slice it into equal halves (horizontally). It's to note you can simply bake this cake and put some glaze or icing over it and serve. I decided to take it one step further. Now stir the cream cheese with a dash of sugar and beat it well. You can know spread it over using a spatula.


4. Next I wanted to use some fresh strawberries that I picked up from a nearby ranch last weekend. So here it goes! Dress them over the cream cheese spread in any order you want.


5. Now, it's time to gently place over the cake lid and get prepared to make some white chocolate glaze. Well, though I tried to make a white chocolate glaze, by melting some white chocolate chips, a bit of butter, 1/2 tablespoon of milk and a bit of sugar over hot water with a microwave proof bowl but I couldn't get my desired outcome today. As I ran out of whole milk and only had almond milk (less fat), it has a pale color which couldn't give me the bright and shiny kind of glaze that I was looking for. But it's great about chocolates that they do not disappoint you in any way. So, I had this sort of caramelized glaze and decided to go with it.



6. In the previous picture, you can see the color of the glaze onto the plate but not on the cake. It is because the cake absorbed the glaze. I learnt one thing today, that I should have kept the cake to cool down for one to two hour before pouring the glaze. Also, next time I should be using heavy cream or half and half to melt my white chocolate chips for a bright and shiny glaze to go on top of my cake. 


Enough with the blog writing, now let me have a slice of it! 
Can I tell you, although I had some goof ups, it tastes divine!  

~Make sure you try such cooking experiments at home, because it's through trial and error we learn to make or in this case, bake something near perfect~

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment